|| Book of Days
See a FLASH
ANIMATION of the development of the tattoo from
original concept to outline, colouring, and finally completed
This animation is 327Kb in size.
The following are a series of diary entries from the time that
I was being tattooed. They are not the entirety of the experience
- few detail, for example, the healing process afterwards, and they
do not cover each session. However they provide an interesting historical
record of what happened at the time.
- Saturday, March 3rd,
- Given the philosophical nature of a few of my friends, especially
after a couple of shots of Glayva, I was asked why phoenix wings....
Wednesday, March 7th,
- I did a lot of work on the wings last night...
Thursday, March 8th, 2001
- Whew! At long last, the tattoo design is done!
Tuesday, April 10th,
- I'm tense today...
Wednesday, April 11th,
- One day left with nothing but the scars and the natural marks
of freckle on flesh.
Friday, April 13th 2001
- Well, that was as disappointing as hell...
Sunday, April 22nd, 2001
- I was nervous when I walked in. Not desperately, I've dealt
with enough pain over the years that a lot of it has become merely
an act of will. But I was wondering. How exactly Claudia might
have changed my design. Whether she would make a mistake...
Saturday, April 28th,
- The second wing, the left one, went on yesterday.
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2001
- So, now I have some colour to my wings. Just on one side, which
is slightly annoying, as I'd prefer it to be more symmetrical...
Thursday, June 14th, 2001
- I went in for more work. Claudia was late, and two women were
waiting, one to see her, one to see one of the other artists.
Thursday, June 21st, 2001
- And I have this to say. Getting work done on the shoulder blade
hurts more than on the spine.
Thursday, July 12th, 2001
- Although the top part of the wing did not quite get finished
- Claudia worked for three hours
Tuesday, July 17th, 2001
- I'm not jaded...
Thursday, August 9th, 2001
- Last night I had another session with Claudia. The worst one
yet, really - work over my sides, along the side of my spine,
and the sides of my ribs.
Wednesday, August 15th,
- Last night on the way home from a failed coffee run (alas, white
chocolate mocha latte was not to be mine), Brandt and I found
a chemist to enquire about Emla cream.
Wednesday, October 10th, 2001
- Hint. Emla cream doesn't work if Claudia works on areas where
it hasn't been put.
Friday, October 12th, 2001
- It's the black ink that really hurts, especially over the small
of the back.
- So now I have a large swath of colour across my right hand side,
and it is finally - finally - begining to look as though the artwork
may one day be finished.
Wednesday, February 20th, 2002